With a blindfold you take away one of the senses (seeing), which will intensify all other senses (feeling, smelling, hearing, tasting). This is also known as ‘sensory deprivation’. Being blindfolded is a beloved form of sensory deprivation in erotics. But why is that? And are there different kind of blindfolds?
Why blindfolds are so hot
The wearer of the blindfold will see less or nothing at all. That will magnify every kiss, stroke, lick or spank and all the wearer can do is wait shivering what will come. All other senses will try to compensate the lack of vision. On top of that, you will not see things coming and you might not be able to identify every touch (‘is that a finger I feel?’). It will feel like you have the superpowers of a Marvel figure.
The partner that is not blindfolded, can make smart use of that, by playing with the other senses.
- Scent: Light a scented candle, or wear your partner’s favorite perfume or aftershave and use perfumed massage oil.
- Touch: Caress, stroke, kiss, massage … Let your fantasy run wild. If you want to go a bit further, try some temperature play, for instance by rubbing an ice cube against the skin, or play with wax. A little less extreme are massage candles: the melted wax can be used as (hot) massage oil (and it also smells great). Or use a tickle feather to tease. Let your partner feel what lingerie you are wearing and play mind tricks.
- Hearing: Whisper softly in your partner’s ear what you are planning on doing and make noises with the materials or toys that you are about to use (the buzzing of a vibrator, the whistling of a whip, the sound of ice cubes in a glass, the zipper of your pants, the belt through the loop holes, … you get it, right?).
- Taste: Use titillating food to stimulate the senses. Vary with sweet fruit (strawberries, raspberries, pieces of pineapple) sweets (chocolate!) , alcohol (champagne, liquor), lickable body powder or bodypaint, and don’t forget to have your partner taste your skin, your mouth and your body juices.
Even for the person that isn’t wearing a blindfold, the experience will be thrilling. In the first place, blindfolding your partner will be nice if you feel anxious or intimidated to be watched. When you blindfold your partner, you can experiment unobserved, without having to worry how it looks like.
When your partner is blindfolded, it will give you the opportunity to try new positions. Let your partner listen (and taste) while you masturbate. Blindfolding your partner is also often the beginning of experimenting with (soft) bondage. It will not only deprive your partner from sight, but also the power to move.
A blindfold is often no more than an ordinary sleeping mask. You will often just get one in an airplane. It is a sex toy that doesn’t surprise people if they may find it. On top of that they take little space and they are very cheap, so there is no reason not to have one.
You might consider being blindfolded together and (extremely cautious) feel, smell, taste and listen each other.
6 Tips for using a blindfold
With a blindfold you will increase the incentives of other senses and you will strengthen the anticipating suspense. What is your partner about to do? What is it that you feel now? By using a blindfold, you can make any erotic play more sensual, or you can control have power over your partner. Here are some tips on how you can apply a blindfold:
- Don’t blow it out of proportions. When you blindfold your partner, it is important that he or she can trust you completely. Don’t use the entire Do-it-Yourself shop (unless your partner is used that you do that), but do what you always do. Start with a massage, do a hand job, have oral sex. Because your partner won’t be able to see, it already will intensify the experience exponentially. Insert a break, go extra slow, whisper. Build the tension.
- The skin is the biggest erogenous zone. Once your partner is blindfolded, every touch will be intensified. Don’t go straight to the genitals, but touch every inch of the body, from head to toe and everything in between. Next to your hands and mouth, use feathers, pinwheels, soft cloths, etc.
- Use massage oil and lube. Especially those lubes with extras like warming or cooling ingredients, give just that extra dimension.
- Use sex toys. It can be very surprising to (suddenly) feel that toy that you always use. Just take that bullet vibrator, masturbator, or glass or metal dildo.
- Cease the opportunity. When your partner is blindfolded, you can take the lead, without things getting awkward. Of course you should never do things that your partner doesn’t like. Ask your partner to do things while he or she is blindfolded, like play with them self or perform oral sex on you. Let your partner beg.
- Sex is more in between the ears than in between the legs. Think that the person who is unable to see, will start to visualize things in their head. Their fantasy can be in overdrive. Make use of that. Put on some music to create an atmosphere, or sound effects of the sea or a forest. Light a scented candle, use an (low noise) ventilator to mimic the wind, put up a voice, or whisper.
Different kinds of blindfolds
There are blindfolds for everyone with eyes in their heads. It doesn’t matter what gender or sex you are or what your sexual preferences are. A blindfold is always welcome, whether you are into vanilla or extreme BDSM (and everything in between). There are blindfolds in all kind of materials, so whether you like silk or leather, the choice is completely up to you. For every outfit there is a matching blindfold.
Well known are those blindfolds that are used as eye masks or sleep masks. These usually come with elastic wraps that go around the head. This way they will fit every head. These masks are also used to sleep better in well lighted rooms, which means they do not let any light through and are often made of soft material. Sleep masks are generally very cheap. You can get one for under €5,-.
Some eye masks are made of artificial leather or leather. That gives them a luxurious and kinky look. Some leather eye masks are padded to increase the comfort.
You can use any scarf that you already have at home, but there are also special scarfs available. Use one that is long enough to tie at the back of the head, that is made of soft materials and that transmits no light. Scarfs are also relatively cheap. You can get a scarf for less then €20,-. With a scarf you will be able to cover not only the eyes, but also the ears to muffle the noise.
A mask covers the entire head. Some masks have openings for the mouth, while others will cover that too. Masks are usually fastened at the back of the head with a zipper, or buckle, but there are also masks of flexible material (spandex) that you just pull over the head. The materiel is often decisive for the price. Some masks will come with ‘D-rings’ to attach ropes or cuffs. Further more there are masks with zippers for the eyes and mouth, so you can play around with the senses.
Finally, there are also eye masks that don’t take away the sight completely, but they will limit sight. This kind of eye mask are meant as ornament or to make the wearer unrecognizable (like for a masked ball).
Looking for a mask? View all our masks in our shop.
Latest posts by Marc van Lier (see all)
- Close the orgasm gap with Intome Clitoral Arousal Gel – review - 23 May 2019
- Last longer with Intome Marathon Power Cream? – review - 21 May 2019
- NBRplaza’s manifesto - 20 May 2019