Über is a German word meaning ‘over’ or ‘above’. Like the English over, it is related to the Latin super and the Greek ύπερ (hyper). Things or concepts with the word über in front of them are therefore superior and elevated above similar things without that preposition. An überhacker is better than an ordinary computer hacker. In the film Ice Age (2002), Manfred calls the mammoth tracker Diego his ‘übertracker‘. In the gaming world, a complicated move is an übertrick and the überscore is the highest score you can achieve. So with the name Überlube, its makers do not want to be modest in any way. This must be the lubricant of lubricants! Time for a test.
What is Überlube Good To Go?
They say Überlube was created with sex in mind, but the formula is so pure and perfected, why limit it to just one area of your life? And so, on their website, they say you can use it not only for reducing friction during sex, but also for hair styling, to moisturise your skin after shaving, and even to protect your skin while exercising.
It is therefore a lubricant (check) that is colourless, odourless and tasteless. It is registered as a medical device, including with the US Food & Drug Agency. Because it is a silicone-based lubricant, it contains no animal products (vegan friendly), no alcohol, no gluten, no glycerin and no parabens. Furthermore, it does not contain any fragrances or flavours. So if you are sensitive to water-based lubricants, this is a good alternative.
However, because it is a silicone-based lubricant, it is not suitable for use with some (cheap) silicone toys, or with polyurethane condoms.
The ‘Good To Go’ refers to a special refillable travel pack, the size of a lipstick. This bottle also contains a handy dosage pump.
- Dimethicone: A synthetic oil based on silicone. The chemical acts as a moisturiser. Dimethicone moisturises and protects your skin and hair.
- Dimethiconol: Polymer based on silicone.
- Cyclomethicone: This is a synthetic oil based on silicone. The chemical acts as a moisturiser.
- Tocopheryl Acetate: Vitamin E. It is an antioxidant with an anti-inflammatory effect, which also acts as a preservative.
- It has a pH value of 4.6. That is approximately the acidity of the average vagina.
Überlube says it is harmless if you take small amounts by mouth. “Stephen the inventor of Überlube drank a shot glass full and he’s still here.” Oh, Stephen… silly you!
Unboxing Überlube Good To Go
The Good To Go package contains a sleeve and a vial of lubricant. The bottle contains 15 ml of Überlube silicone lubricant. The idea is that you put the bottle in the sleeve, so you can always carry it discreetly in your bag.
Of course, I didn’t have my glasses on when I slid the bottle into the sleeve. Nothing came out! Turns out there was a barely visible cellophane wrapped around the cap (if you look closely at the photos above, you can still see it). Stupid of me. The cellophane didn’t come off very easily by the way, but me and my scissors managed to get it off in the end.
Once the flacon is in the sleeve, it looks like a lipstick, so you can leave it in your handbag or on your bedside table without embarrassment.
By the way, the Good To Go packaging comes in four colours: Gold, red silver and black.
The test drive
My partner and I are thrilled! This is a really nice lubricant! Silicone-based lubricant is actually much nicer than water-based lubricant. It lasts much longer, because it does not soak into the skin as quickly. That is why you don’t need much of it. Also, water based lubricant often contains all kinds of additives which you might not want to apply to your intimate parts.
In general, silicone-based lubricants have the disadvantage that they sometimes feel greasy and are difficult to wash off. It is also better not to use them together with (cheap) silicone toys.
Überlube is a lubricant that does not feel greasy or sticky at all. It can be washed off quite easily, as the silicone used is water-soluble. It glides on for a long time and feels wonderfully soft. It is also nice that it does not contain any colourings, aromas or flavourings. This means that you can also use it if you are (also) planning to have oral sex.
Überlube is a bit thin and it ‘runs’ quickly. Fortunately, you only need to use a few drops. And that’s where the little pump comes in handy. With just a few pumps, you can easily enjoy 20 minutes of pleasure.
I have to say that we didn’t put it in our hair. That would be a bit of a waste of the expensive Olaplex treatment. But if there is any left on your hand after use, you can easily wipe it off on a dry spot on your skin (your arm or leg, for example).
Überlube is truly a premium silicone lubricant that is soft to the touch and safe due to its limited number of ingredients. I think this might be our new favourite lubricant.
Pros of Überlube:
- Little needed. Lasts a long time and therefore also suitable for anal sex (a little more needed for anal than for vaginal sex).
- Odourless, colourless and tasteless. Therefore also suitable for oral sex.
- Discreet refill packaging. Easy to use on the go.
- Body friendly. Silicone-based, so no glycerine, parabens. Also vegan-friendly.
- Can also be used to moisturise skin and hair. Überlube has lots of tips on its website, for example, for use on newly applied tattoos or on scar tissue.
- Non greasy and non-sticky and easy to wash off.
Cons of Überlube:
- Be careful when using together with silicone toys. Toys made of cheap silicone in particular may not be compatible with the silicone in the lubricant. So test carefully first. By the way, it is good to use it with metal and glass toys!