There is a growing opportunity to create an audience for erotic podcasts. Whether you like to tell erotic stories, discuss and review sex toys, or give advice an sexuality; there are many people waiting to listen to what you have to say. But what does it take to create a podcast. And what is specific for erotic podcasts?
What is a podcast
A podcast is an episodic series of digital spoken audio that a user can listen to on a personal device. Streaming applications and podcasting services such as Apple Podcasts or Spotify, provide a convenient way to connect to an audience.
Podcasts are to radio, what YouTube is to video. You can create your own sound recording and broadcast it for people to listen to at their own moment and place of choice.
Erotic podcasts and legal issues
There are podcasts in as many genres as there are books and magazines. Many erotic podcasts are audible stories. But there are also podcasts containing information, tips, reviews, or just people discussing their experiences.
As with websites and blogs, you need to make sure that your content is original and authentic. Don’t read out loud stories that are not your own, unless the author has given you permission. The main legal issues that you will likely face, are related to copyright, publicity rights and trademark issues. So avoid background music that is not licence free, for example.
Also, keep in mind that some media and podcast platforms have restrictions. to adult content Specifically for erotic content, you need to make sure you register your podcast as restricted for adult audience. Podcasters run into similar concerns as bloggers in relation to defamation, privacy, and adult materials. So make sure you check and double check if what you are doing doesn’t get you into trouble.
Preparation & sound
Before recording and publishing a podcast, consider the following:
- Invest in good audio quality. Although the microphone on your headset can be used for recording, your podcast will sound much better through a stand-alone microphone. Also, test the sound of the microphone. You will notice that the sound differs when you get closer to the microphone, when you speak on the top, or on the side.
- Make sure you are in a room that is virtually soundproof, where you will not be disturbed. Also, switch off your phone and all apps on your laptop, so you will not get any incoming messages or sounds.
- Use music as intro, outro and when you change topic. Be aware that you cannot use all sounds and music. You must either pay for the rights, or use sounds that are license free. A good place to start is www.purple-planet.com/ (If you use music from Purple Planet, you only have to place a line in your podcast description referring to their website). If you have an Apple device, use GarageBand. It has a great library of license free sounds. On the other hand, it is more professional if you invest in your own sounds and music. Consider buying tunes that are your own, like you would invest in the lay out of your website.
- Prepare your content. Do not write everything out, but keep it conversational. Like when you would give a presentation, or talk to your best friend.
- Although opinions differ, a podcast usually is somewhere between 8 to 20 minutes. If it gets any longer, consider cutting it into different episodes.
- Make sure you mention to follow you on all your social media accounts. Boost traffic on all your channels by linking your podcasts, blogs, and social media platforms as YouTube and Instagram.
- A podcast is a series of episodes. Plan your episodes ahead. For instance an episode every 2 or three weeks, for a couple of months.
There are plenty of free platforms to record your podcast. Zencastr is a great free tool (https://zencastr.com/). If you want to talk to a guest or co-host, you can send your guests a link to your session. Zencastr will record a separate track for each guest, which will allow you to edit it more easily.
Also, if you happen to have an Apple computer, Garageband offers great possibilities to record and edit your podcast.
Make sure you have something to drink at hand.
After you have recorded your podcast, you may want to edit it:
- delete parts that went wrong
- delete background noises and echoes
- Syncing the different tracks of your guests and yourself
- insert intro music and texts
- insert outro music and texts
There are several free tools to edit your podcast, such as the open source tool Audacity. https://www.audacityteam.org/ or Garageband (for Apple).
Also, you can find several training videos on Youtube.
Publication your erotic podcast
After recording and editing, your podcast is ready to be published. You don’t want to publish your podcast to all the different channels yourself. For publishing your podcast, you may want to use a platform such as Anchor.fm. Anchor is free and it publishes your podcast to Apple Podcasts and Spotify. You also can add an image and description to your podcast channel and to each individual episodes.
Your description should say something about what your podcast is about. Also you can use it for copyright messages and it should contain links to all your other social media acounts.
Once your podcast is published, you may want to share links to your podcasts through your social media channels (LinkedIn, Twitter, blog, etc). People can follow your podcast on Anchor, Spotify and Apple.
A podcast is a series of episodes. Encourage your audience to follow you by ending your podcast with an outlook to what is coming.
Great erotic podcasts to listen to
If you want to get inspired, you might want to hear out these great podcasts: