Wrist and ankle cuffs are the ultimate BDSM toys for anyone who wants to get started with bondage. Although a simple belt or tie can be enough to restrict someone’s movement, there is nothing like owning your own cuffs. What should you look for when buying good wrist and ankle cuffs? NBRplaza explains.
If you’re a touch submissive, or a lot, it can be tremendously exciting to be handcuffed by your partner and completely at his or her mercy. What is going to happen? What will your partner do? Will he or she tease you with his or her hands, mouth or sex toy? Or will you soon be fucked hard and animalistic? Somehow, it all gets a lot hotter when you’re tied up with a good pair of cuffs.
Of course, I should add that both parties must agree to kinky play, and that it is good to agree on a safeword beforehand. Also, it is always wise to talk to your partner beforehand about your needs to be tied up (or tied down).
If handcuffs are your thing, invest in some good ones. And if you’re looking for a good set of wrist cuffs, you’ve come to the right place: From classic ‘police’ handcuffs, to very chic leather wrist cuffs.
How do you choose the right cuffs?
I don’t know about you, but when I see a lot of offerings of a product (any product), I always get choice stress. Even in the supermarket, when there are fifteen different kinds of strawberry jam. I get stuck. It’s the same with wrist and ankle cuffs. That’s why it’s good to keep the following choice tips in mind:
- Sturdiness: Consider how sturdy your cuffs need to be. If all you care about is the idea of being attached, then a thin chain may be enough. From some cuffs, you can free yourself quite easily with a little force. That can be a nice idea, if you are a bit unsure whether you enjoy surrendering completely to your partner. For others, this is child’s play and shackles need to be able to withstand a bit of rough handling. For them it must be absolutely impossible to be able to free yourself.
- Color: Cuffs come in all colors. Pink cuffs are kind of cute, while black looks masculine and tough.
- Material: The most common materials for wrist cuffs are rubber or silicone, metal, leather and fabric. Each material has its own look and advantages and disadvantages. Rubber and silicone feels soft and is easy to clean. Metal is tough and the sound of jingling chains adds a little extra to the game. Leather is also tough and masculine and fabric is easy to attach and feels soft.
- Attachment: Think carefully about the type of attachment. Police handcuffs are clicked on and can only be opened with a key (although cheaper versions can sometimes be broken open with some force). Keep the key handy, because before you know it you’ll have to be freed by the fire department. Many rubber and cloth cuffs are attached with Velcro. This is very convenient and fast for both attaching and detaching. This is especially useful if you want to change positions often. Leather cuffs often have buckles. That’s why leather cuffs take longer to fasten properly, but for many people that’s exactly what makes this variant so horny. Keep in mind that it also takes longer to release someone.
- Attachment points. Police handcuffs are attached with a chain. That’s it. Other cuffs are attached to a strip of fabric that you can tie to something. Many leather cuffs have a number of rings that you can attach hooks or chains to. If you want to use the cuffs for, say, a hogtie, it’s a good idea to see if there’s more than one ring on the cuff.
- Diameter. Almost all wrist and ankle cuffs have a minimum and maximum circumference. If you think you have very thin or very thick wrists, measure the circumference of your wrist, so you can be sure that the cuffs will fit properly.
- Length of the chain. Some cuffs come with a chain or other attachment material. Others require you to buy them separately. Consider how you want to cuff someone (or be cuffed). With a short chain you limit the freedom of movement, but this also prevents you from using the chain to tie someone to a hook in the ceiling or to the legs of the bed, for example.
Handcuffs with soft plush come in a variety of colors. From cute pink, to playful tiger print, to the more serious black. Plush cuffs are low-key and playful, making them perfect for novice bondage lovers. Usually, these types of cuffs are fairly inexpensive and with a little bit of force, they are easy to open (break). So it’s mainly about the idea here.
Pictured are the Za Za Zu cuffs with feathers and chain – € 12,99.
For kink, it’s not always about restricting movement, but sometimes just the idea. Especially if you’re going to a fun kinky party, it can be fun enough to use thin chains to hold the wrists together. A long chain will still give you enough freedom of movement, but it will allow you to pull someone along like a lapdog. Sometimes satin cuffs or a tie even suffice.
Pictured is Désir Métallique – €22,99
These are cuffs that are made of soft rubber or neoprene and are often attached with Velcro. This makes them easily adjustable and also easy to release. These types of wrist cuffs are ideal if you want to be able to quickly secure someone but also quickly release them. This is useful if, for example, you quickly want to do another position; then again the hands on the back and then again at the edge of the bed, and so on. Velcro is absolutely impossible to get loose by the person who is handcuffed, but can be yanked off in a second by the partner. I love it. Furthermore, the inside feels soft and comfortable, so you won’t get any chafing or hard to explain red stretch marks.
Last but not least, this material can be simply washed in the washing machine.
Pictures are Naughty And Nice soft wrist cuffs – €4,99 (also available as ankle cuffs)
Sometimes you just want simple handcuffs with a serious look. Very basic, very affordable, no fuss. Especially nice for role-playing (“am I being arrested now, Mr. Officer? Can’t we really solve this any other way?”). As mentioned, these types of restraints are not always strong. Sometimes you can break the chain with a big jerk and often you can bend the chain with these cheaper police cuffs. So it’s more about the idea. Because they are so cheap it might be an idea to buy two or four. If you attach one to a wrist, then you can attach the other side of the cuff to the bed. Or the table. Or a chair. Or … well, use your imagination.
Pictured are black metal cuffs – €9,99
Are you more of a hook in the ceiling and dangle from a chain? Then you need just a little more comfort and security. You don’t want painful stretch marks and you certainly don’t want to fall out of the chains because the cuffs weren’t sturdy enough. Choose leather suspension cuffs that are comfortable and durable. For example, make sure the lining is soft and the attachment points are sturdy enough.
Pictured are Strict Leather Fleece Lined Suspension Cuffs – €179,99
Leather cuffs have an attitude. They are tough and show that they are not to be trifled with. Leather cuffs are a case apart. They come in all kinds of shapes, sizes and colors. And yes also in all kinds of price ranges and qualities. Some are simple and have a Velcro closure, some have a padlock, some are padded, there are some with one strap and there are some with a lot. In short, you can make it as crazy and as expensive as you want.
Pictured are the Strict Leather Padded Restraints – €169,99
Steel commands respect. It feels cold and hard and steel cuffs are therefore not for sissies. Yet they are also very beautiful and special. With steel cuffs, you take charge in style.
Who doesn’t have the fantasy of being taken really hard against the wall once? With door cuffs you secure your partner against the door to spoil him or her, or tease him or her. With a little imagination, the possibilities are endless. Door cuffs are suitable for any door. Just hang them over the door and close the door. But they are also very easy to detach again at any time (open door).
Pictured are Door Jam Cuffs – €52,99
Especially for beginners, but also for very seasoned bondage lovers, bondage sets are a godsend. These are sets that combine a number of cuffs, such as a bed restraint kit with two ankle and two wrist cuffs and a set of straps to tie someone to a bed with, a collar with cuffs, or hand-upper leg cuffs that allow you to attach someone’s wrists to his or her upper leg.
Pictures is a 10-piece luxurious bondage set – €82,99
A step further
Is all this still too soft for you? Even if you want to go a step further, there is plenty on the market. Think leather sleeves or pet crawler sets, a leather straitjacket or arm straps, fist gloves, etc..
Pictured are padded fist gloves – €239,99
All products listed above are for sale in the shop of NBRplaza. This is just a selection from the very extensive range of cuffs. The prices are of the moment of posting of this blog. Price changes reserved.
- Steak & Blowjob Day (March, 14th): How to be prepared - 14 March 2023
- How to improve the taste of sperm - 10 March 2023
- Erotica: Scalp - 8 March 2023